Butterfly Sparks Designs

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Needles and Buckets

Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness...

I had blood drawn today!

And not just a little bit of blood, a lot of blood. Like a bucket...OK that's an exaggeration but it was a lot!

I hate needles and whenever the nurse mentions that little sharp piece of horror, I cringe in fear. Today was no different.

"We're going to draw a little bit of blood to run some tests" -nurse says to me in a sweet upbeat tone. Why do nurses always sound so happy to take blood? Don't they know that most people hate them for it? OK not hate...that's a strong word...but dislike them for it. I know I do! I instantly think to myself "me and this person will never be friends because she is going to pierce my skin with that dreadful object."

Cruel, yes I know but it's totally how I think!

So after my heart dropped a little and I looked towards the wall to keep the needle out of my view, she pricked me! And it hurt...it really HURT!!! Three tubes later and what felt like an hour in my mind, she removed the needle which HURT too! Then she held some gauze on my arm and placed a band-aid over it. It wasn't even a pretty band-aid...what happen to all the Barbie and G.I. Joe band-aids? Can't a girl get something fun for that traumatic experience??? Nope just a flesh tone band-aid...

Then I stood up which was a mistake. Yep, I was lightheaded and almost passed out. But no worries, I laid down, had some water and finally was able to regain my composure!

Dang needles...I hope they find what they're looking for with all my blood cause I refuse to give any more any time soon!

Well at least until next week when I have to go back:(

3 awesome remarks:

Britany said...

Shannon, it couldn't be that bad! I donate blood to the red cross and it is soooo worse than that!!

My birthday is Friday and I will be 17 so on my birthday next year I will get stars :)

p-stip said...

You poor little girl. :(

What a sad story. I mean i just gave blood last week, which my test results were pretty good i must say, and they only drew (is that the right tense and word) two tubes of blood. I mean you must be like a geyser giving them THREE TUBES!!!

Well i just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and to say sorry that you have to go back and give more blood next week. :(

Anonymous said...

At my first preggo dr.'s visit, they drew 5 tubes of blood. At my last list, 3. At the visit I've got coming up, I will have blood drawn 4 times, 3 tubes at each time. I'm really, really excited about it.