Butterfly Sparks Designs

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Category WT

For the past two days, while driving to and from work I have been listening to talking on the radio more than music. I used to hate it when there was nothing on to listen to and I've pretty much resorted to the Ipod and CDs because of all the radio mumbo jumbo. But for some reason I have really enjoyed the topic of conversation for the past two days.

Yesterday while driving home the topic of conversation was "what makes people White Trash?" They had people calling in with all there WT moments and it was very amusing to hear all these creative ways to have fun. One guy asked if tying a rope to a mattress and dragging four people around a bonfire for fun consisted of being White Trash...I said no because I used to do fun things like that all the time growing up. Another caller mentioned that she had a toilet in her front yard that was being used as flower pot. Hummm I have to admit that one is probably a little WT.

I brought up this concept up at lunch today with a few co-workers in hopes of getting opinions on what WT meant to them. We came up with a few collective thoughts but nothing that really defined it for me so I turned to Wikepedia. Their definition reads a little like this...

White trash is a pejorative term targeted at lower social class white people with poor prospects and/or low levels of education. To call someone white trash is to accuse a white person of being economically, educationally and/or culturally bankrupt. White trash should be differentiated from the more socially acceptable term Redneck, as each has an unique historical etymology and context in modern usage. While white trash is most commonly used as a pejorative, low- to middle-income rural whites often self-identify as rednecks.

Totally a mouth full!

It's interesting the terms that we use these days to categorize people. We throw out these labels like Redneck, White Trash, Ghetto, Snobby, etc... but when we step back and actually think about it, these terms refer to all of us in some way or another.

All of us have a redneck/white trash side, I mean who hasn't played in the mud or sat around a bonfire or gone sledding on some object besides a sled. All hands should be down because I know you've done at least one of these.

We all have a ghetto side! Hands up if you like to break it down on the dance floor or talk in some sort of slang or order chicken wings to your heart's content... my hand was raised for all of those.

And a snobby side...oh boy do we all have that one! I'm not even going to touch that category... but we can all be a little snobby at times!

I think that placing a term on something we've done or something we do should be embraced not made fun of! I'm proud that I've had countless WT moments, memorable redneck adventures, plenty of ghetto fabulous nights and I'm even proud of my snobbiness even though that one I keep under raps most of the time, haha!

So who else wants to embrace their so-called "category?"

2 awesome remarks:

Britany said...

Shannon, I have totally gone sledding on a trashcan lid that was being pulled behind a four wheeler in the hollars of Tennessee! LOL! I could not agree with you more that we all have these moments! I never thought of it that way...

Jeremy and Laura McBryar said...

Oh my goodness... I was listening to that radio convo. too...... I am trying to think of moment because I'm sure I have had some.