Butterfly Sparks Designs

Thursday, May 21, 2009

If I were to plant a church...

... I would do it backwards.

I was at dinner the other night with two of my amazing friends and we were discussing what it would look like if we were to plant a church. My thought was it would be completely backwards! Not in a way that would take away from the teaching but in a way that would be different from the way that seems to be dying off today.

I would start by focusing on the youth. They are the leaders of tomorrow and I feel that the more you pour into them, the better. We have the opportunity to teach them how to spread God's word. A chance to invest in them all the things that we have learned and have effected our growth. Why wouldn't you want to start with them.

I would not discriminant against anyone!! They can come in with torn clothing, tattoos and piercings straight of the street as long they give me the opportunity to tell them about my Jesus! I will welcome them with open arms no matter their circumstance, their past or their choice. The point of a church is to love on people. Some churches need to remember that.

I think holding a church service twice a week would be pretty cool. Maybe a Monday night and Thursday. We could meet in a restaurant or coffee shop that is closed on those days, that way we're out in the community and the people that are scared of church buildings and sacred land wouldn't feel like they didn't fit in. I don't feel it's necessary to have some huge building with the latest technology in order to reach people for Christ. We need to be the church not go to church.

A few other little things I would do:

No dress code
Give Bibles to those who don't have one
Start community groups and go out into the community and do service
Challenge the church to witness whenever and wherever possible

I have so many ideas swirling around in my head!

What would your church look like if you were a church planter?

0 awesome remarks: