Butterfly Sparks Designs

Monday, November 24, 2008

I need Africa more than Africa needs me!

A few days ago, while I was browsing through some of my friend's blog sites, I came across something very intriguing and something that I knew from the start I wanted to help with. It's something called Mocha Club.

Ever heard of it? Well if not, then you need to look it up.

Mocha Club [www.mochaclub.org] is a community-based website where members can start a team and invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas at our friendly Starbucks or local coffee shop – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa.

I was asked by Mocha Club to write about the concept of why ‘I need Africa more than Africa needs me.' I have pondered this statement for a few days and I must say hundreds of things have popped in my mind! So here we go...I'm going to tell why I believe I need Africa more than Africa needs me!

Day after day I go through life never realizing how extremely lucky I am. I have a roof over me head, warm water to shower in daily, hot meals and cold drinks, transportation, access to medicines and doctors, education, entertainment beyond belief and a closet full of clothes that I look everyday thinking "I have nothing to wear." I could keep listing on and on about how blessed I am and we are as a nation that doesn't generally have to live in poverty but my point in all this is, even though we/I am so wealthy, I still complain and want more. Isn't that sad?

Now, I want you to stop for a second and think about this... Children in Africa, who have close to nothing compared to us, become overwhelmed with joy from a plate of food that is considered(in our scale) one meal. I've seen videos where their little faces light up from getting to go to school, receiving pencils and crayons to being feed a bowl of grits with a glass of clean water. Would your face light up if someone gave up a glass of water?

Somehow we've got to this point where we give money out of pity instead of out of compassion and love. Africa doesn't need our pity. It doesn't need us looking down on them for what they may not have. The truth is they have more then we ever will because they know what it means to truly appreciate what they have instead of being resentful for what they don't have!

My point is this...

I need Africa to teach me that life is about love and about cherishing what I have. Life is more than having it all or buying the best. It's about the little things. It's about appreciating what is given and trusting that tomorrow will provide. I need Africa to remind me that joy comes from something bigger than a new pair of jeans or a Starbucks coffee every morning. It's about seeing the blessing in everything. I need Africa to teach me how to be selfless instead of selfish...how to give instead of how to receive. To show me what true love and appreciation is, along with showing me some of biggest and greatest smiles ever:)

What do you think?

Share your thoughts in my comments, and even blog about it yourself. Join in! Help out! Because it's more then just talking about it...it's about doing something about it!

Come back Dec 1st to see what Mocha Club is doing about reforming that image. See you then...

5 awesome remarks:

p-stip said...

I just find it kinda ironic that God has laid it on my heart to right about our good friend, the continent of Africa. Just thought i should share that.

Anonymous said...

AMEN! The more I leave our beautiful, rich, vast, blessed country, the more I realize how ugly, poor, small, and selfish we can be. Everything you said has been my experience in the limited amount of impoverished countries I have visited. God is calling His people to a life of Simplicity. I believe when we learn to live below our means so that we can be less consumers and more givers, we will know the happiness, we all seek through the "American Dream."

Now is a great time of year to be giving "THANKS" for who God has made us to be, and what he has blessed us with. Let's not just say it, let's live it!

Anonymous said...

I love how you post about this...when I already am a part of the Mocha Club - it's a joy to know that my money (which I would normally spend on clothes or Starbucks) is going to children who will receive this help with love. Seeing the impact on the children who deserve so much more than what they get makes the $7 a month soo worth it!

Love you :)

kelli beth said...

you said it girl! thanks for sharing your heart!!

Msha said...

The Mocha Club is awesome! And it is sooo true that taking the time to look outside of ourselves helps us realize that, contrary to our self-centered, wants-driven society, we NEED Africa and the rest of the world to remind us what's really important in life.