Butterfly Sparks Designs

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why the back row?

I was thinking about a concept this morning. It is one that I taught about this summer at SuperWOW. The concept is "Students really do impact today!" Now you may be saying to yourself, DUH but read on. You see, as I was sitting in chapel this morning this concept jumped out at me because of some things I have been noticing over the past week.

When we say that teenagers are the future and that they are the ones that are going to change the world, how many of you actually believe it? Well I whole heartedly do and I think that's why I pour my time and my heart into them... well that and I'm a kid at heart.

Anyway, I had a flash back to a worship service from this summer of the students running, literally running, to get to the first row of seats so they could be the closest. I watched them as they were engaged in not only in the music and magic, but in the teachings. They had their Bibles out, journals open and pen in hand. And it wasn't for looks, they really were taking notes, reading along and intently listening to God's word.

I had students each week that came to seminars early just so they could be on the front row. They answered and had opinions on all the questions we asked and even brought questions of their own. They were hungry for Jesus! I've received countless emails from those students telling me all about the things they are getting involved in and the ways they are impacting their community! In their emails they write about starting Bible studies, organizing prayer meetings, witnessing to friends and even to their parents! Can we say WOW... Kids these days are stepping out and are trying to walk on water to get to Jesus.

Now here's why I tell you all this! It's because of what I've been noticing for the past week. Adults, and I'll include myself, do not run to the front row for worship or church. We don't even really walk to the front row. In church, the back row seems to be the popular place to sit for us "older folks." Even in chapel this morning the front four tables were open and people got there early to sit at the back tables. For some adults, we have to be talked into praying in a group or we look around the table until someone finally agrees to say the blessing at lunch or dinner. Why is that?

I met a five-year old this summer during one of our church group dinners. Her name was Jesse and I will always carry the memory of her raising her arm and jumping up and down to be the one who got chosen to pray for the meal. She was so excited when she was picked and her words were so precious as she asked the Lord to bless the food and the friends. She even threw up a few prayer requests! It was so powerful to see this little girl at such a young age begging to be the one that got to talk to Jesus. Where did that longing go in us?

Now I don't expect adults to run, literally, into events and church settings or grab the microphone when it's time to pray but here's my dilemma... We as adults believe we are wise and that these students should be learning from us yet we set the example that it's OK to not be overly excited about praising Jesus. Some of us don't trust our youth to get involved in leading Bible studies, Vacation Bible Schools, camp positions, various events, etc. but we expect them to carry on this witness when we are gone! How is that going to work? We should be pouring into our teens teaching them all about what we have experienced and sharpening them for the future so that they will pour into teenagers when they are older.

Now here's something for those of you who think your students are to young to make a difference:

In 1 Samuel 16:1-12...
David who was probably around the age of 12 was chosen by God for a special service. There were bigger, better options amongst Jesse’s other sons, but God chose David because of his incredible heart for God. David had a private life of worship as a shepherd of sheep. God used his time with lowly sheep to prepare him to be the greatest conquering king in the history of Israel.

God saw the potential in David, the youngest of Jesse's sons I might add. Shouldn't we look for the potential in our younger ones? We could actually learn a few things from them!!

Here's some fun facts:

  • See You at the Pole Prayer Rallies was started by a group of students.
  • True Love Waits is a student movement toward abstinence.
  • Loose Change to Loosen Chains was started by a 14 year old, Zack Hunter, who wants to stop slavery and human trafficking.
  • The most effective mission sending agencies in the world are sending students all over the world and are seeing cultures changed by American teenagers.

Sounds like we should be taking notes from them!

So pour into your students, teach them all that God has taught you, learn from their enthusiasm and excited spirits and allow them to test the waters... Besides they'll never know if they can walk on water if you never let them out of the boat!

2 awesome remarks:

Beach body in the south said...

amen sister!! :) i love it!

Britany said...

wow!! You are so right! I think this is kinda wierd though, most of the teenagers in my church (mostly all the boys) go for the back row in church. I organize Prayer at the Pole at my school. It is usually right around my birthday. It is really amazing!