Butterfly Sparks Designs

Thursday, July 24, 2008

An Alaskan Reminder...

I got a phone call tonight from a good friend who is doing mission work in Alaska! It was such a joy to talk with him about his experiences and all the things God is doing in his life. His talked about all the people he is meeting and all the needs that are all around him that God is showing him. It's amazing to hear all the stories about the impact he is making and all the lives he is touching just by following God's lead.

Sometimes, hearing what others are learning and seeing can have an impact on what you feel you are missing! When I say missing, I mean all the things that you overlook in your everyday life. God's beauty and grace is all around us and for the past week I've been unable to see it because of the blindfold I've been wearing. I've been so consumed with all the frustrations that I overlooked the joy!

The joy of...
my friends,
my family,
my co-workers,
giving,
the amazing gifts God has given me,
music,
smiling,
conversations,
Krispy Kreme doughnuts,
laughter,
giving hugs,
phone calls,
etc..etc..etc...

That's a lot to overlook!

It always seems that this thing we call "life" gets in the way of the important things. We allow all the things that we can't control to actually control our thoughts, days, hopes, etc. Our minds become consumed with how to get OUR way or how to fix situations to better OUR plan. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to step back, live life for the joy and let God take care of all those "un-controllable" things?

We could stop looking at how to cater to our problems and focus more on the things that need crucial attention like leading people to Christ, rebuilding homes, feeding starving children, giving warm blankets and fresh water to those who need in desperately, or just smiling at people who need a friendly face!

We could take out the frustrations and add to joy back in. There's no greater joy than showing someone the love of Jesus! That sounds like a better plan to me.

Thanks Paul for your little reminders, encouraging words and your heart for reaching people with love and joy!

1 awesome remarks:

Jen said...

Ah Shannon, so true, so true! When I get back to ATL, I think we need to particularly explore the Krispy Kreme donuts that you've been missing. Just an idea though... :P