Butterfly Sparks Designs

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Love-Hate relationship

It's impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him.

Hebrews 11:6 (The Message)

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Hebrews 11:6 (New International Version)

And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.

Hebrews 11:6 (New Living Translation)

I write each of those translations because I need to say that verse over and over and over...Maybe if I keep writing it, it'll sink in!

Think about this, if the chief purpose of our lives is to please God, Hebrews 11:6 suggests the primary means to such a valuable end is faith.

Let's think about that word 'faith' for a moment. Merriam-Webster define faith as an allegiance to duty or a person: loyalty. That is so true! Faith is loyalty to God!

Now, I struggle daily with faith and trust. I will worry myself sick over things that I can't control and situations that are beyond me. I hold on so tightly to my wants and agendas that I forget to loosen my grip so that God can slide His hand in and lead me towards what is truly necessary in my life. For the past few weeks, I've been challenged on just about every situation...

God's been asking the questions: "Shannon are you going to believe me or not? What does my Word say? Will you trust me enough to have this situation?" For the few moments after...I do, I do trust Him with the situations and I do believe Him. But then somewhere in my small little brain(since women have small brains according to Morgan) the worry and fear that things will not go my way creep back in. It's like having a love for roller coasters but also having a fear of heights...sometimes the ride seems great but occasionally you look down and your fear takes over your good time. Not sure if that made any sense but I like that analogy!

It's frustrating that I allow myself to be overwhelmed with doubt, fear and worry! God teaches us not to worry! He shows us in Matthew 6:34 by saying "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." and also in Luke 12:22-34, which tells all about Jesus' conversation with the disciples about worry. Yet I still have daily battles with myself. WHY?

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 awesome remarks: