Butterfly Sparks Designs

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Let's Build A Playground Together

It amazes me the people I have in my life! I watch them day after day, seeking after Christ, learning from their surroundings and giving with everything they have. It's amazing the things they are teaching me!

It's a group that can get together in the midst of boredom and find fun. It's group that can bring laughter and joy to teenagers half way across the states in the midst of terrible circumstances and horrible economy. It's a group that wants to absorb their city and finds ways to make it better. It's a group that will give up a Saturday just so kids will have somewhere to play! It's a group centered around love and I am so blessed to be a part of it!

This past Saturday, fifteen of these amazing people got together at 8:30 AM with their work attire on and their minds focused on the task at hand...building a playground! And boy did they build a playground...





Despite extremely hard ground and very hard manual labor, this group managed to do something amazing! Did I mentioned they stayed till 6 PM? Dedicated!!!

My friend Michelle said, "It was an exhausting day as we took turns digging the 15 (very large, very deep) holes, hauling away the dirt, pouring concrete and eventually assembling the giant swing set. (And actually there were no swings on said swing set... but that's not my point.) We walked away with blisters, aching muscles, dirty clothes... and the knowledge that we had truly made a difference in the world, at least in the eyes of a few hundred kids."

Well said!

I am so proud of each of them! And they should definitely be proud of themselves! They helped in making a place where kids can be kids and for a moment they can escape the craziness that this city and this world holds. I can't wait to go down there and see the children playing!



To read, more visit Moments Worth Mentioning and That's So Fletch. And if you want to get involved and help us with service projects in the future please visit our Facebook page, CONCRETE LOVE!

Be blessed!

2 awesome remarks:

Kenny L. said...

Thats an awesome looking playground!! Great Work people!

michelle winham said...

Thanks for the shout out lady! I hate that you missed that fun day!!!