Butterfly Sparks Designs

Saturday, February 21, 2009

No greater compliment!

I want to tell you about a little project I did a little over a year ago. I was living in Nashville and was struggling a bit financially. I didn't have a lot of money for Christmas presents so I decided to make something that would mean far more than a new sweater or some new gadget meant to make life easier. I decided to make a little something that I had been wanting to do for years.

With the help of my good friend Daniel Heath, founder and producer at 210 Records, I created a little CD for my family and closest friends. It was one of those ideas that trickled in to my head one day while I was singing in my car. So I compiled a few songs that had touched my heart and my parents in some way. My parents have always loved to hear me sing. I grew up singing in church, at my school, for retreats and my favorite, at Caswell. I felt like every opportunity was one that lead me closer to the dream I had when I was a little girl. The dream to one day be a singer...I think it's every girl's dream.

Now, I'm not one for spotlights and glamour, I always had a different purpose for wanting to sing on stage. I wanted the people in the audience to be touched. To have that feeling you get when a specific song comes on the radio. That feeling of a memory triggered and emotion sparked. I had it all planned out in my head.

As time went on, my dream changed a bit but it's still there. Over the past week I've had a few moments that have rekindled that dream. A few encouraging words, an awesome opporutinty and a sweet story from my mom.

Apparently, my CD that was made in 2007 has made its way to a preschool room in North Carolina. The teacher, Mrs. Dixie Courtright, a friend of my family told my mom that her tiny students request that CD everyday before their nap time. How cute is that?!

Maybe it's soothing or maybe it's just boring but to me it doesn't matter their reason. It matters that for those few minutes before they fall asleep, they listen to me, singing about Jesus and singing about hope, love and joy. And to me, there could be no greater compliment.

1 awesome remarks:

Anonymous said...

I got you on my ipod...you come on several times a week...and everytime...i'm like...ooooo...this is my friend Shannon...(I say that to whomever is with me when it plays)...see...your music means more than music being played to some 2 year olds.