Butterfly Sparks Designs

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fully Devoted

For the past three weeks, my Small Group has been going through the book 'Fully Devoted' and it's been amazing so far. It's been challenging and eye-opening in so many ways. I did this study about 4 years when I worked on summer staff at Fort Caswell as an intern. My friend Downey and I lead this study for the Key Leadership team and through it learned a lot about ourselves. What's so funny is, going through it this time is totally different. I'm learning completely different things and God is taking some of the things I missed 4 years ago and showing me how they relate to me now. AWESOME!

My favorite part of the studies are the weekly experiments. They make you think and they definitely will convict you, haha. I thought I'd share one of our experiments with you. I'd love for you to try it and let me know what God said to you through it.

Here is an experiment for putting Colossians 3:17 into practice.
This week: Memorize Paul’s words in Colossians 3:17: “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Think about what it would mean for you to live the ordinary moments of your life as if Jesus were in your place. How would you do each of the following activities in Jesus’ name?

•Waking up
•Greeting those you see first in the morning
•Eating
•Driving
•Working outside the home or caring for children while at home
•Shopping
•Watching TV
•Doing household tasks
•Reading the paper
•Going to sleep

Try it out.Focus on Jesus’ presence with you as you go through the seemingly inconsequential moments of your day. Keep it simple; continually direct your thoughts back to him: ask for his help or his guidance, or simply share your heart with him. Keep track of how the experiment goes. (If you don’t already have a journal, we strongly recommend you start one so that you can keep a running list of observations throughout the duration of this study.) You will share your insights and experiences with the group when you meet.

0 awesome remarks: