Butterfly Sparks Designs

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Engaged in Prayer

Jesus said, "Anyone who wants to follow me must put aside his own desires and conveniences" ~Luke 9:23

Here's something to think about...

People who play golf, I suppose, are people who happen to like golf, who have time for golf, who can afford to play golf, and who are good at golf. Recently I found that I often treat prayer as though it were a sport like golf ~ something you do if you like it, something you do in your spare time, something you do if you can afford the trouble, something you do if you're good at it. Otherwise you do without it most of the time.

But prayer isn't a sport or a game. It's work! You are not cheered on by spectators or coached by any experts. You won't get any trophies ~ not on this side of the Jordan, anyway. It's not likely you'll get any credit at all. For some people prayer might fall into the category of "fun," but that's not usually the reason we pray. It's a matter of need and responsibility.

Prayer is work because a Christian simply can't "make a living" without it. He can't live a Christian life if he doesn't pray.

Prayer is the opposite of leisure. It's something to be engaged in, not indulged in. It's a job you give first priority to. If we pray only "at our leisure"~ that is, at our own convenience ~ can we be true disciples? Jesus said, "Anyone who wants to follow me must put aside his own desires and conveniences" (Luke 9:23)

So that is what we must do! Spend more time in prayer. Have conversations with God, one-on-one with no distractions. As we all know He loves to talk to His children. In prayer you are saying, in effect, "my time, my energy, my thought, my concern, my concentration, my faith ~ here they are, for you." Let's work at being true disciples!!!

"Pray when you feel like praying, Pray when you don't feel like praying. Pray until you do feel like praying." ~Anonymous

0 awesome remarks: