Butterfly Sparks Designs

Monday, May 07, 2007

Starving to Death

I had always heard great things about fasting. People describe it as becoming closer to God by focusing on Him instead of food. I felt like God had been calling me for a couple of weeks to embark upon this type of worship. I needed some answers about some unresolved things in my life and after being confronted four times in two weeks about fasting, I decided to turn myself over and try it.
For three days, I did what is known as a juice fast. I only allowed myself to drink fruit juices when I had stomach pains. The time when I was just hungry, I prayed. It was such a different experience. I always use the term "I am starving to death" when I am hungry but the fact is most of us don't really know what starving to death really means. We are truly blessed in our world to have food and beverages at our fingertips whenever we are per say "starving to death!" It made me realize how selfish I am and how much I take for granted the things that God provides me with.
I learned a lot about myself and about some things I have been dealing with when I focused on God instead of my appetite.
Have you ever spent time like this with God? What did you learn?

0 awesome remarks: