Butterfly Sparks Designs

Friday, August 28, 2009

Help needed in Bend

Listen guys and gals, I need your help in BIG BIG way! I received an email from my friend Walker this morning telling me about a need. He is currently in Bend, Oregon with a few friends ministering to the people there. What they have found is that there are hundreds of teenagers who are homeless, living on the streets with no money for food, shelter, education etc. Theses kids are 14 & 15 years old living on the cold streets. I can't even imagine what that's like and I bet most of you can't either. Check out this video from the kids... LOVE ...be warned that there is some strong language in this video!!

Anyway, Walker and Tim are in the process of purchasing tents and sleeping bags for these kids...over 100 of them. The problem they have run in to is the tents and sleeping bags are in Texas and need to be shipped to Oregon. The cost $500! While Walker and Tim would love to be able to pay that, they have both giving everything and now have no money left. Read Walker's email...

Ms. Shannon. I hope you're having amazing day. Miss you. I'm shooting you an email because I need your help. This trip has turned into a pretty crazy journey. Its amazing how many terrible situations we're surrounded by. This world is so screwed up. I'm completely broken at this point. I have nothing to offer these people. Just love. Anyway. There's a situation here that I need your help with. Tomorrow night I'm gonna spend the night homeless with some teenagers, prostitutes and drug addicts. These are good kids. But they're hurt. And on top of that they're cold. They need tents and sleeping bags. Tim has over 100 military tents to give to these kids. PRAISE GOD!! But the tents are in Texas. It's gonna cost $500 to get them shipped here. Tim is broke. I've given away all my money. But we really need those tents for these kids. The winters here are so harsh. Some of them won't make it without those tents. $500 is nothing. I'm hoping that you'll leverage Concrete Love and shoot everyone an email asking for support. Its completely screwed up for us to have so much more than we need while these kids freeze to death turning tricks. I can't live with that. Do you think people will give? Thanks. I'm sorry for the sporadic email. My mind is soup at this point. Something is changing in me. I need to be leveraging my life for the gospel and instead I live a completely self serving ignorant life. I can't anymore. These kids' pain is too real. Their eyes are too dead. And my life is too short. It's all or nothing for me at this point. Anyway. Thanks. Ill give you a shout tomorrow and see whatcha think. I just wanted to put a bug in your ear. The sooner we can get these kids shelter the better.

-Walker


This email breaks my heart and in an awesome way fires me up because I know that I help these kids. I know that I show them love...That we can show them LOVE! $500 is nothing to raise especially considering we all spend on average a good 50-100 bucks each weekend!

Now, I obviously don't have $500 as a whole laying around that I can give...that's where you guys come in. For the next week, I was wondering would if you guys could help me raise some support to get those tents and sleeping bags to Oregon. Would you please spread this post to everyone and anyone who would help in this journey...a journey to HELP, MEND, LOVE and SHARE what God has taught us! Spread this through your small groups. Share it with your family. Forward it to your closest friends. Whatever you could to help, I (and Walker) would greatly appreciate it!

If you want to give please email me at sdenise519@gmail.com!

Show me the right path, O Lord;
point out the road for me to follow.

Psalm 25:4 (New Living Translation)

0 awesome remarks: