Butterfly Sparks Designs

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Halloween Party with a Purpose

Halloween through the eyes of Kris Triplett...

So. I volunteer weekly at the Open Door Community (www.opendoorcommunity.org) down in the midtown area off of Ponce de Leon Ave. It is, in my opinion, one of the best soup kitchens in Atlanta.

Anyways, for a couple of weeks they had been talking about needing blankets since the weather was starting to turn a tad bit colder. They give out blankets on Wednesdays and they usually give out around 80... each Wednesday.

Since Halloween was coming up and I knew that we were going to throw a party at the house, I figured why not make it a cover charge. It made more sense to me especially after I went to the girls party and they were taking can donations along with a cover/dollar amount.

So it just made sense to make BLANKETS the COVER charge, which I thought was a cool play on words : )

Honestly... I knew that we were trying to make the party a huge success as far as amount of people attending, but I wanted so badly for people to bring blankets and they were MORE than generous. For the people that didn't bring blankets, they gave a $5 donation to go towards blankets... which I had decided to just give straight to the open door community, since they are non-profit.

The next morning I was refolding all the blankets nice and neat and counting cash and we ended up raising $187 and 120 blankets!

It was VERY exciting to see. People were more than generous. Some bought 2 or 3 blankets and some gave $10. I was really the only one mandating it, and I would have let everybody in becuase I wanted to have a HUGE party, but everybody did their part and contributed to something much larger than ourselves.

Dave McCall and I went down Monday morning to serve and took the blankets and cash and they were very gracious. They wanted to know how I got all of that and I told them... Threw a Party : )

Dave and I reorganized their blanket closet and we ended up filling over majority of the whole closet with the blankets we took.

God is so good!

With Love,
Kris

0 awesome remarks: